Booker T. Washington, Up From slavery. Use the whole book to write your paper.
1. Write a minimum of 7 full pages (5 pages for Part One and 2 Pages for Part Two). (Maximum limit is 9 pages).
2. Double-space it. 10 or 12 font size.
3. Use one inch margin space on all four sides.
4. You must upload your paper on to Canvas. It should be a pdf file.
5. DO NOT USE QUOTES FROM THE BOOK. WRITE IN YOUR OWN WORDS. POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED IF YOU DIRECTLY QUOTE FROM THE BOOK.
7. Organize your paper in your own style.
8. Use a spell-checker to check spellings. Points will be deducted for spelling errors.
9. I will grade your paper on your understanding of the book, demonstration of your reading through the use of multiple details and examples from the book, and your discussion.
10. Do not hesitate to consult me while you are writing the paper.
11. Remember that this is a history paper. Hence place it in a historical context.
12. I will NOT accept late submission of paper.
13. Do not email me the paper, submit it in CDs, or post it on your web site.
14. I WILL REGARD COPYING FROM CLIFF OR SPARKS NOTES AND INTERNET AS CHEATING (PLAGIARISM). DO NOT USE ANY OUTSIDE SOURCE (Books or internet). It will result in a F grade for the paper.
Part One: (5 pages minimum)
Write your paper in an essay style. Critically analyze and discuss the life and legacy of Booker T. Washington as a leader of blacks in the late 19th and early 20th century. Include Washington’s experiences as a slave child, his views on white slave masters and mistresses and his views on whites soon after the Civil War when slavery was abolished. Discuss his desires and ambitions as a young man and how he achieved them. Include in your discussion his views on relations between whites and blacks. In that context in addition to discussing his work and ideas in Tuskegee, discuss his significant speeches chief among them being the Atlanta Speech. Write also about his views on what he considered to be the best ways for blacks to improve their lives in the years following the Civil War.
Part Two: (2 pages minimum)
Are Booker T. Washingtons ideas about education relevant for today? Discuss this in relationship to the article; Beyond One-Size-Fits-All College Dreams. Read the article at the following site.