• Update: The cost of new machine Delta is 135,000 instead of 140,000 given in the case.
Report Submission Instruction:
• Maximum 4 pages excluding Reference/Appendix. You may consider using Refernce/Appendix section to
include your research references, calculations, relevant graphs, charts, illustrations, and tables.
You will be reading the case, research relevant facts, perform analysis, and document your findings, analysis, and
recommendation in a written report to John Davidson to assist in the decision of whether to buy the new
machine or maintaining the existing one.
You may consider the following guided questions to prepare your report. If you have made assumption(s) as part of the
case analysis, please include them in the report.
• Using NPV analysis, should Magic Timber and Steel (Magic) purchase the new Delta finishing machine?
• What other quantitative and/or qualitative factors (see below) need to be taken into consideration?
• Sensitivity analysis (e.g., different discount rates, different selling prices, change in maintenance cost)
• You may assume discount rate as 12% and tax rate as 30%.
• Salvage value, Repair, Maintenance, Scheduled service, Machine Sales
• Machine investment, Labour savings, Electricity savings, Maintenance, Salvage value, Profit/Loss from sale
• Depreciation (given in case)
• Depreciation (10% per year of cost $135,000)
Tax Impact relevant Cash Flows:
Which of the above cash flows and non-cash flows could impact the cash flow for tax saving/payment?
• Savings (+ taxable income), Costs (- taxable income), Depreciation (Matrix, Delta), Profit/Loss from Sale
Cash Flows for NPV:
Which of the above cash flows (including tax impact relevant cash flows) are relevant for purchase of Delta decision?