Choose one of the short stories we are reading this semester (from Sept. 14-Oct. 7th) on the syllabus. Decide what the theme of the story is. Your thesis statement is an assertion of the theme of the story, and it should appear in your introductory paragraph. Be sure to identify the author and the name of the story in the introduction as well.
In the body of the paper, explore the theme fully by interpreting the story . It is your job to identify what you think the theme is and demonatrate how you believe the author develops that theme. Each story can have multiple themes, so there can be more than one possibility in identifying the theme. What matters is that you use evidence from the story to justify how and why the author develops that theme.
You should paraphrase and quote from the text to support your argument, but do not overdo the quotes. Do not summarize the story (assume your reader has read the story). You are interpreting the story, so you can discuss such things as the title, the point of view of the narrator, the nature of the characters in the story, the setting, the tone, the style, irony, or any symbols in the story as you develop your argument about what the theme of the story is.
– must have a thesis statement that asserts the theme and how the author develops the theme
– must use direct quotations from the story to support your reasons. At least one quotation per paragraph, no more than two per paragraph.
– must use MLA citation for in text quotations – (Author’s last name, 5) – do not put pg. in front of page number.
– no bibliography, since you are only discussing one story
– you can choose any story from Sept. 14th – Oct. 7th on the syllabus. If you choose one of the two stories we read as a class when we discussed theme (Cathedral or Speech Sounds) you MUST discuss a different theme from human communication – as I said, every story has multiple themes, so if you choose one of these two, find a different theme to focus on.
– Essay should not exceed three typed, double-spaced pages. Quality is much more important than quantity, so be thoughtful about choosing words and ideas.
– There is no minimum number of paragraphs, but you should include at least two body paragraphs beyond the introduction.
– MLA heading, Times New Roman, 12 pt font.
PLEASE USE THE STORY CATHEDRAL BY RAYMOND CARVER. NO MORE THAN 3 PAGES. DOESNT NEED BIBLIOGRAPHY THE THEME CANT BE HUMAN COMMUNICATION. TRY AND MAKE THE THEME CONSEQUENCES OF ACTIONS. If not then you can make it a different theme.